Monday, March 7, 2011

Dulce de Leche cupcakes

I found this recipe via The Pioneer Woman: Dulce de Leche Cupcakes

We were headed to a Mardi Gras party so my original plan was to try to make something New Orleans-related. That idea fizzled after King Cake had been ruled out (the hosts already had one from a bakery), I realized I had no interest in eating bourbon praline thingies (and, let's be honest, if I don't want to eat it, why would I make it?) and the thought of buying a QUART of oil to fry beignets was just too much.

So I went with my gut and made something that looked pretty!

Dulce de Leche, or at least my version of them. Not as pretty as the original recipe...


Overall, I'd say they were really fun to make. But eating? Eh, maybe not my favorite style of cupcake. The cupcake wasn't very sweet (one friend described it as similar to a corn muffin, which she was a fan of) and I thought the frosting was just a little too cream cheesy-y. (again, another person who tried it said they loved that it was so cream cheese-y, so to each his own, I guess).

The cupcake batter also included my nemesis: buttermilk. BLECH. I have to quiet the part of my brain that thinks curdled milk is so, so wrong.



Like I said, I had fun making them (perhaps because I wouldn't normally make something this rich) and I do have about a cup of this frosting leftover...so now I have to think of something to do with that before it goes bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment