Monday, March 14, 2011

Sourdough Update

Ummm...sooooo, yeaaaaahhhh...

About that sourdough starter. I tried. I really did! I stirred it up...I fed it. I refrigerated it. And then I tried to proof it.

I couldn't get this one line from that blog I was following out of my head:

If this sounds brain-dead simple, that's because it is. People who didn't believe the Earth was round did this for millenia. (found here)

So I guess I am dumber than people who didn't think the Earth was round. Here's what happened.





I begin the process of proofing the starter. Looks good, right? Some bubbling action going on...all righty then!










OK, I don't have any pictures of the dough formation. But I recall it was quite dry. But I stuck with it. And here is the result. And here is how it stayed. Absolutely no rise whatsoever, even after I put it in the fridge overnight.








Cue sad music.

BUT THEN...I found another blog about sourdough. And this blog asserts (many times) that you need to get a known starter. That you should not try to create one on your own. They suggest asking friends for a starter or ordering one online etc etc. But the one that caught my attention?

Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter

I'm going to order it. Stat. Because if I can make sourdough bread AND pretend I'm in a wagon on the Oregon Trail headed west? Um, AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment